Re: Innate Skills?

Subject: Re: Innate Skills?
From: gina jerome <gina -at- ROARK -dot- ITG -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 08:28:37 -0500

Robert wrote -

> I think the "scientific racists" can be said to have lost. There's
> an excellent book by Stephen Jay Gould, THE MISMEASURE OF MAN, which
> gives a fascinating account of several hundred years' worth of "science"
> that "proved" that things such as intelligence and character were
> "innate abilities."

The new bestseller "The Bell Curve" has raised this controversial
issue again. As for the book itself, it's a fascinating study of
the persuasive argument, which is played out in excruciating detail.
To cover themselves, the authors continually state that they know
their positions are controversial. Interesting technique.

I'm not necessarily advocating the content, but the manner in which
the book and the arguments it contains are structured is an
intriguing read for those of us who make a living analyzing and
researching, and then explaining our findings.

Gina Maria Jerome
gina -at- roark -dot- itg -dot- ti -dot- com