Hourly rates

Subject: Hourly rates
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 14:57:31 -0400

>What is there to justify? We all charge (no matter what the profession)
>whatever is acceptable in the marketplace. If the market accepts $100/hr,
>then you can justify it. Seems like simple economics to me.

That is the rub: What does "justify" mean? Some may accept what their
competitors are able to charge and assume that such rates represent "the
market," and that they must accept that as their rates. On the other hand,
if you check closely, you will find that in every field there are the
majority of individuals charging approximately the same rates, but there are
a few select individuals charging a much higher rate and getting it.

"Justify" is thus an individual matter. It really means how well you sell
yourself and what you do. When I billed $1000/day, some competitors thought
my rate was outrageously high, but others asked how I could work so cheaply!

The economics may be simple, but the marketing is not.
***
Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com] Marketing consultant, general and
technical writing services. Author 60+ books, including best-
selling How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant (John Wiley).
PO Box 1731, Wheaton, MD 20915. 301-649-2499; fax: 301-649-5745