Re[2]: Comma, comma, coma[,] and Uncle Ralph

Subject: Re[2]: Comma, comma, coma[,] and Uncle Ralph
From: Joyce Flaherty <flahertj -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 14:54:59 EST

If I just had a few hours for a good old fashion flame!
DOD standards are good for at least a few thousand words.

But I don't have a few hours, so I'll limit my comments to
independent contractors and the "shall" word.

joyce

Subject: Re: Comma, comma, coma[,] and Uncle Ralph
Author: lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL at INTERNET
Date: 5/12/95 7:16 AM

> snip, snip, snip

> Part of my job is to review a contractor's software documents for
> those qualities and for compliance with DOD standards. (I'm talking
> about the big defense contractors here, not you independents.)

So there! You independent peons you!--you who have about as much
respect for a standard as a tomcat has for a marriage license!
In milspec language, "consider yourself told!" j

> I want to see "shall" used consistently for provisions that are
> contractually binding.

Personally, I have been on a one-person crusade to eliminate
"shall" from technical documentation. Does it mean 1) likely
to happen in the future, or 2) mandatory? j