Re: Names for symbols

Subject: Re: Names for symbols
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 11:54:36 CDT

> >>According to "Mark My Words: Instruction and Practice in
> Proofreading," by Peggy Smith of Editorial Experts, the symbol # is
> called an octothorp, space sign, or grating.

> So here's the question: how did the octothorp become more commonly
> known as the pound sign?<<

Because the # symbol is sometimes used as to represent "pounds," as in "Twenty
pounds of BS." Now, could we get off this topic, please?

(Sorry, Sue, this isn't a flame directed at you; I just think this topic has
been done to death.)

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html