word processing vs. desktop publishing

Subject: word processing vs. desktop publishing
From: "Kamela J. Salyers" <kjsalyer -at- PRAIRIENET -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 09:45:38 -0500

I know this has been a much-discussed (old, tired. . .) thread HOWEVER. . .
Our department was recently given a new manager (the fifth in four
years). Like our previous managers, the new one has no knowledge of
technical communication. The department is responsible for approx. 15
user (hard copy) manuals as well as online help text. It is a small
department--3 employees.

The new manager is questioning WHY we need to use DTP software and why a word
processing package won't meet our needs. (BTW, WordPerfect is the company-wide
package. Ventura is our DTP; however, approval was given to switch to
FrameMaker. Of course the switch is depending on whether or not we
actually need a DTP system.)

Can anyone help me with advantages and disadvantages? IMHO, we should use
DTP software.

Thanks,
Kammi

Kamela J. Salyers
kjsalyer -at- firefly -dot- prairienet -dot- org