Re: Factoid

Subject: Re: Factoid
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 08:19:11 PST

John Weiland wrote:'

> I believe the term "factoid" was coined by Norman Mailer to explain
> the source of his information in his 1960s' biography of Marilyn
> Monroe. In other words, it sounded plausible, but he made it up.

According to Webster's College Dictionary, here is the definition of
factoid:

"fact oid (noun) something fictitious or unsubstantiated that is
presented as fact, devised esp. to gain publicity, and accepted
because of constant repetition. [1973, Amer.]"

So maybe the definition of how Norman Mailer made up the term
"factoid" is a factoid itself? <grin>

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com