USAGE: re: # Symbol

Subject: USAGE: re: # Symbol
From: Pat Madea <madea -at- MMSI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 10:10:15 MST

Bev Parks wrote:
I know the usage for the # to mean "number" is *very* common.
I use it myself to mean "number" on occasion.
But, WHY do we do that? Does anyone else see it as extraneous?
Don't you know that "2" (or "34" or 512"...) is a number?
Do we really need that little # symbol preceding a number to
clue us in that what follows is a number?

Perhaps the # symbol is better used in handwriting and handprinting
to differentiate between l and 1..., O and 0..., and certain other
number/letter confusions.

madea // madea -at- mmsi -dot- com