Re: Multi-platform Docs

Subject: Re: Multi-platform Docs
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 09:30:28 CDT

> I am looking for examples of documentation (good or bad)
> written for a multi-platform product. I am interested in whether
> anyone has covered platform differences in the same document and
> done it effectively. Any pointers to documents or success/horror
> stories are appreciated!

> Thanks,

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> Catherine Rivi
> Transarc Corporation
> 707 Grant St.
> Pittsburgh, PA 15219
> (412) 338-6927

The documentation for FrameMaker is a good example of multi-platform
documentation. Frame runs on UNIX, Mac, and Windows platforms, and their doc
tries to cover all the angles. The Windows and Mac versions of Frame 4.0
include the same user manuals, with the screen shots alternating between
Windows and Mac examples. Differences in procedure between the two platforms
are handled in notes throughout the manuals. It all looks a bit strange at
first, but it seems to be a fairly cost-effective solution. I haven't seen the
UNIX manuals for Frame 4.0 even though I'm on a UNIX system (due to some
licensing quirk, I can use the software, but I don't have the manuals), but I
believe they deal strictly with UNIX platform issues.

The online help seems to be identical across all three platforms. In addition,
Frame includes an online manual called "Using Frame Products on Multiple
Platforms."

Good luck.

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html