Re: In & Under

Subject: Re: In & Under
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 08:29:40 -0400

Douglas Thayer wrote:
> In the sentence, "XXX runs in the Windows environment and under UNIX,"
> is there any difference in usage between "in" and "under"? Could these
> be swapped without affecting the meaning of the sentence?

I believe you have to think of operating systems like governments.
(By analogy, the OS could be thought of as the computer's government, I guess.)
For example, you would say "Taxes were raised under the Reagan administration."
Using "in" instead of "under" would not have the same meaning.
The same idea applies when talking about software working a particular
way "under Unix" or "under Windows".

Regarding "in the Windows environment" -- I think you would always
use "in" along with "environment", even if you weren't talking
about computers. For example, "Newt Gingrich has flourished in the
new conservative environment."

Sorry for the Republican references -- that's just what came to
mind.

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200