Re: "Platform"

Subject: Re: "Platform"
From: "Pickett-Harner, Molly" <mop1 -at- NIORDS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 11:08:00 EST

(1) According to Freedman's _The Computer Glossary_ (7th ed - 1995):

Platform is "The hardware architecture of a particular model or computer
family. The term also often refers to just the operating system, which
implies the particular hardware architecture that it runs on [sic!]; for
example, 'the XYZ program runs on the Windows platform.'"

[Author notes: "The electronic and encyclopedic versions of this book
provide more detail on this subject."]

(2) Barron's _Dictionary of Computer Terms_ (3rd ed - 1992):

"A platform is a piece of equipment (or occasionally software) used as a
base on which to build something else. For example, a mainframe computer
can serve as a platform for a large accounting system."

Would love to see how Robin Williams' _Jargon_ (bk is at home) explains
platform. BTW highly recommend same for information plus sheer enjoyment --
the woman does have a way w/words & concepts!

Molly Pickett-Harner
mop1 -at- niords1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov
harner -at- access -dot- mountain -dot- net

<snip snip

<I have the same question Bev stated later in her post concerning
"platform."
<What do we mean by "platform" in the context of computing? Operating
<systems are pretty straightforward and hardware, pretty much so.
<But "platforms?" Que es?

madea // madea -at- mmsi -dot- com