Hyphen Placement

Subject: Hyphen Placement
From: Kristin Hackney <khackney -at- RESEARCH -dot- WESTLAW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 12:20:26 -0500

I'm fairly new to the list, so I apologize in advance if this has been
discussed here before.

I'd like to know which of these are preferred and why:

CD-ROM-based reference books
CD-ROM based reference books
CD ROM-based reference books

Many of us in our tech communications group don't like the look of two hyphens
in a row (as in the first example) and would like to know if either of the
others are acceptable.

By the way, we often work our why around this by writing something like
"reference books based on CD-ROM," but we'd like to settle it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kristin Hackney
khackney -at- research -dot- westlaw -dot- com