Re: MS Word outpaced by a snail

Subject: Re: MS Word outpaced by a snail
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 08:56:44 CDT

> I am trying to put together some manuals using Word 6.0. One manual
> is about 360 pages and contains 240 screen dumps (TIFF format) and various
> illustrations from Canvas. I followed Microsoft's advice and attempted to use
> master documents. My machine crashed, strange temp files appeared, the master
> document tool showed weird symptoms, the machine was outpaced by a snail
> walking by (I have a pentium 90 with 16 meg), and the whole experience was
> like rowing
> an overloaded boat across the north sea, taking in water now and again
> having to
> to be very careful not to capsize. Not to mention the 'saves' - go to the
> toilet, take
> a walk around the building, drink two cups of coffee and come back.

> I have given up on master documents, almost given up on Microsoft support
> ("well sir, perhaps you should make your documents smaller"),
> and am considering giving up Word. Am I flogging a dead horse or ......

My suggestion? In a word: Frame. Or for that matter, any of the major desktop
publishing packages. Word is a word processor, no matter how many bells and
whistles Microsoft adds to it, and word processors choke on large documents,
and certainly on manuals.

I know that my suggestion might not be very practical for you, since you might
have no choice but to use Word. In that case, I hope some current Word users
can help you out. Having been in situations in which I was expected to blow up
a bridge (i.e., produce a large manual) with a firecracker (i.e., WordPerfect),
I can sympathize with your plight. Good luck!

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA