Re: readability indexes

Subject: Re: readability indexes
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 15:28:32 -0700

>Marcia Coulter is right. The results of readability indeces have to be
>prefaced with "in many cases" or "in context XXX". Or they need a lot
>of *unless* clauses attached to them. That said, does anyone
>know whether a context-sensitive readability index exists? On a
>realted topic, do context-sensitive grammar checkers exist? If not,
>someone could make a lot of money developing them. I find the others
>create more editing work than they save.

Wow! Do you have any idea what that first sentence just did for me on
what has been a *really* tough day?! Thanks James.

So now I get to ask a question. As you envision it, what would a
context sensitive grammar checker be? Sounds like an interesting
concept.

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com