Re. French writers/editors

Subject: Re. French writers/editors
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 19 May 1995 09:57:21 LCL

Lori Moreland suggested "ecrivien(ne)" [sic] for the French of writer.
I'd qualify that with the following:

ecrivain(ne) = author, often used for screenplays or plays
or fiction in general
redacteur/redactrice = editor, usually in the sense of
newspapers (also "editeur", more colloquially)
reviseur = proofreader/copyeditor
[accent "aigue" on the first "e" in each of the above]
traducteur/traductrice = translator
pigiste = freelancer, especially for a newspaper

For the "technical" part, I've seen "technique" used as the
adjective ("Je suis un reviseur technique"), or occasionally, "des
textes technologique" ("of technical materials"). But as in the
previous discussion of the Spanish translation, you might be better
just saying "a writer" and then specifying what type of writing you

I've noted in discussions with French colleagues that none of these
translations seems exact... the French, no more logical a race than us
anglos, use the various writer/editor phrases every bit as sloppily as
we use "tech. writer/editor/communicator/etc.". I'd be interested to
hear what our overseas French colleagues have to say on this matter!

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <-- tete carre bilingue (as we say in Quebec)
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.

Previous by Author: Re. Two spaces or one?
Next by Author: Re. Customers vs. users
Previous by Thread: Re. Two spaces or one?
Next by Thread: No message from you

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads