Citing a radio broadcast

Subject: Citing a radio broadcast
From: Debra Kahn <dwkahn -at- LAMAR -dot- COLOSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 15:43:15 -0600

Greetings,

I would suggest ordering a transcript of the broadcast and citing the
transcript, although my Chicago Manual of Style does not list a transcript
format. I would suggest

author, name of show, then say "text of speech on (subject)." City,
State, date. Transcript (or Radio broadcast)

That's a good suggestion! :) But as a student, KC needs to refer to the
style manual appropriate to the course for which she is submitting the
paper. Does the discipline use APA or MLA or some other style manual, KC?
According to the MLA style manual, section 4.8.4,
"An entry for a radio or television program usually provides the title of
the program, underlined, followed by the network (e.g, PBS), the local
station and its city (e.g., KETC, St. Louis), and the date of the
broadcast." Inclusion of other information may be helpful (e.g.,
director, narrator, producer). So a sample entry would could include this
information (with Boris Godunov, the name of the program, underlined):

Boris Godunov. By Modest Mussorgsky. With Marti Talvela. Cond. James
Conlon. Metropolitan Opera. Texaco-Metropolitan Opera Radio Network.
WGAU, Athens, GA. 29 Jan. 1983.

The MLA manual allows a different organization of material if the
reference is primarily to the work of an individual. Here is the MLA
example (again, The Life, etc. would be underlined):

Dickens, Charles. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby. Adapt.
David Edgar. Dir. Trevor Nunn and John Caird. With Roger Rees and
Emily Richard. Royal Shakespeare Co. Mobil Showcase Network.
WNEW, New York. 10-13 Jan. 1983.

Hope this helps. And yes I have taught MLA style to writing students,
but that is not an invitation for flames. My low salary makes me humble
enough. Happy writing,
Deb Kahn
dwkahn -at- lamar -dot- colostate -dot- edu