Bulleted & Numbered Lists: Indented or Flush Left?

Subject: Bulleted & Numbered Lists: Indented or Flush Left?
From: Legislative Serv Ctr <amurphy -at- WLN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 08:32:52 -0700

Our organization is debating a style guide issue, and we'd appreciate (1)
word of how it's done in your office and (2) any leads to relevant
usability studies. Here's the question--

In creating bulleted lists, I indent the bullets to look something like:

* Text follows a bullet, normally a filled circle

A numbered list similarly begins:

1. Do this first.

A couple of folks feel that bullets and list numbers should always be set
flush left with body paragraph text.

I'd appreciate your posting directly to me your experience, your
standards, and research leads. I'll post a summary within a week.

Thanks to all!

Avon Murphy
Legislative Service Center
2404 Chandler Court SW