Re: graphics questions ... reprise

Subject: Re: graphics questions ... reprise
From: Joe Fockler <jfockler -at- IPHASE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 10:46:01 -0500

I have the same problem going from the PC to UNIX. All of our contract
writers work on the PC (FrameMaker) and I work on an Xterm. When going
from DOS/Windows to UNIX, lines are missing or jagged.

Any comments, suggestions, ideas, etc are appreciated.

joe

Ed Glennon writes:

+ I have two graphics-related questions that I'm hoping some of you have
+ encountered:

+ 1. We do screen captures on UNIX machines (Sun mostly) that we use in
+ our printed and online documentation. But in the PC version of our
+ software product (running on Windows NT), the graphics look bad. Lines
+ are missing, images don't have consistent density and aren't sharp,
+ etc. I guess the difference in resolution between a Sun or HP
+ workstation and a PC is what causes the problem.

+ Most of our graphics are b&w xwd files, although I've tried tiff files
+ as well with similar results.

+ Does anyone have any advice of how to generate screen captures on a
+ UNIX platform that will have an acceptable appearance on the PC?

+ 2. We just got Adobe Illustrator for the Sun, and I received some
+ Illustrator files that were created on a Mac and then placed on a DOS
+ floppy. Sun SPARCs can read DOS floppies, so I just copied it onto the
+ Sun. But the Sun version of Illustrator can't read the files.

+ Has anyone ever encountered anything like this with Illustrator? Do
+ you know of any workaround, or something that I might be doing wrong?

+ I appreciate your help.

+ Ed Glennon
+ Rasna Corp.
+ San Jose, CA
+ Email: ed -at- rasna -dot- com

--
Joe Fockler "Success is when those who know you best
Interphase Corporation love you the most."

-- Samuel Johnson

"Success is going from failure to failure
without loss of enthusiasm."

-- Winston Churchill