Re: HELPPPPP, please. . . Word Problem

Subject: Re: HELPPPPP, please. . . Word Problem
From: brian -dot- hartzog -at- CCMAIL -dot- BSIS -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 13:46:42 -0500

Jane,

If I understand your Word problem correctly, the answer lies not in
Word's styles or hidden text, but in its TC and TOC fields.

Your problem, as I understand it, is that you want the first page of
your first chapter to look like this:

Chapter 1 Installing the system

and your TOC to look like this:

Chapter 1 - Installing the system . . . . . . . .. 1-1

You didn't mention if your 80 page document is separated into separate
files or is all in one large file. You also didn't mention how many
chapters you have. Also, I don't know if you are generating your TOC
based on styles or if you manually inserted tc fields. Also, how did
you set up your page numbering?

Anyway, try inserting a tc field at the beginning of each chapter.
Your field will contain the toc entry as you want it to appear in the
toc. For your first chapter, for example, the tc field will look like
this:

{tc "Chapter 1 - Installing the system"\l1}

The "\l1" tells Word what toc level this entry is.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please respond to
the techwriter's list.

Brian Hartzog
bhartzog -at- ccmail -dot- bsis -dot- com