hyphens in verbs, verbals, adjectives, and nouns

Subject: hyphens in verbs, verbals, adjectives, and nouns
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 16:24:43 -0500

I would like your opinion. Does a hyphen in a compound word
help clarity when the word is used as a verb or verbal?

Situation: A "leak test" is commonly performed on
manifolding. Does the compound word need to be hyphenated
in these cases?

1. Adjective: leak-test procedure, leak-test area

2. Verb: Leak-test the liquid phase manifolding first.

3. Gerund: Leak-testing finds points in the manifolding
that may leak during the job.

4. Noun: "During the leak-test, watch for pressure changes."

NOTE: Yes, I will reword to "testing for leaks"
if my SME will allow it.

You may reply to me at <lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com>. I'd like
to know what the rest of you would do, even though I some situations
will be resolved by recasting the sentences.

LaVonna

LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.
technical writer Society for Technical Communication
COREStaff Communication Svcs.

My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than me.