Re: Re. Two spaces vs. one after periods

Subject: Re: Re. Two spaces vs. one after periods
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 May 1995 17:57:13 -0600

On Thu, 25 May 1995, Gwen Barnes wrote:

First, let me say that I always enjoy the insightful comments about
typography from Gwen. I have a better than average grasp of the basic
principles--at least among those I've worked with directly, but love
having the opportunity to learn still more. In the following paragraph,
Gwen refers to editing the width or kerning tables for your fonts. I
know this can be done on a case by case basis in programs like PageMaker,
but how do you do this in the font tables? I can see where this would
really be useful.

Also, I am familiar with some of the uses of the en dash (in number
ranges, for example,) but would appreciate a more comprehensive
explanation of when to use the en dash as opposed to the hyphen. Somehow,
this is an area that I seem to find difficult to keep straight.

> For those of us in the real world, you might have a go at editing the
> width or kerning tables for your fonts and adding white space to the
> right of the period and colon, but *not* for the comma or semicolon.
> While you're at it, throw in about half a space at either end of the em
> and en dashes. Don't *EVER* use two hyphens when you should use an em or
> en dash. It's the one thing that sets the "real" typographers apart from
> the slobs.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu