Re: Explaining what we do

Subject: Re: Explaining what we do
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 16:23:23 GMT

-> >I am seeking assistance on how to advise a friend at a small
-> >software company who is having to explain to software engineers
-> >what it is technical writers do that makes them so valuable to
-> >the company.

-> Good documentation, precisely because it is so rare (a lot of folks
-> would rather spend money developing the product), is often what
-> distinguishes a good product from a not-as-good product in the eyes
-> of the all-important customer.

Good documentation is an essential *part* of the product, and
technical writers ought to be considered an essential part of the
engineering team.

A product that ships with lousy docs is an incomplete product, and
customers are capable of recognizing that fact and going elsewhere.

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500