Re: PERCEPTUAL PSYCHOLOGY

Subject: Re: PERCEPTUAL PSYCHOLOGY
From: James Mathewson <math0038 -at- GOLD -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 22:42:39 -0500

On Tue, 30 May 1995, Alison Sanders wrote:

> Presently I am doing some research on how theories of perceptual
> psychology could be used in audience analysis when planning WRITTEN
> documetation. We will be using some of this information as part of
> our new tech communication diploma.

> Does anyone know of any resources/literature on this subject?

A good book-length communications theory that relies heavily on modern
cognitive perceptual psychology is Kaufer and Carley (1993c).In this
rather heavy book (of which there is an article-length synopsis (1993 b)),
they manage to operatinally define the primary salient variables of print
(including the mental models of both the writer and her/his target
audience). They then show how the variables fit together in some
interesting cases.

The book is marred by a leap of faith from print to other media (such as
CMC), but you can ignore this flaw if you're just looking at
informational written documentation.

' Hope this helps.

james {:>l3