Re: Definately

Subject: Re: Definately
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 06:47:24 MST

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG> wrote
> I've seen "definately" so many times recently on so many lists that it can't
> be a typo. A large number of people seem to believe that's the correct
> spelling of "definitely."

> I know, I know. So what. Perhaps I'm just in a curmudgeonly mood recently,
> but I find it annoying. :-(
========================
"Definitely" for me was like "occasion." For the longest time
I'd have to look up "occasion" every time I used it. I just
couldn't get it in my head that "occasion" was two c's, one s.
The "definitely" with an "a" spelling was also a common
headache.

The correct spelling of "occasion" finally just sunk in after
looking it up so many times. I always knew "definately" was wrong
after writing it, but for some reason it always just came out
with that blasted "a" in it. Now, I consciously think of the
word "finite" when I write "definitely" and this helps me get it
right every time. Maybe that little tip can help others, too.

Bev

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=