Re: Value of Techwriters

Subject: Re: Value of Techwriters
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 07:35:19 -0700

Barry West wrote (responding to other posts about the contributions of technical
writers on projects):

(snip)

>There is a very good chance that you are not dealing with logic or reason in
>your situation. You can bring in mountains of evidence and testimonials, and it
>may not make any difference. You have to first understand the mindsets of the
>people who are resistant to hiring Tech Writers. Once you know the mindset...

(snip again)

Barry, I'm going to agree with you and twist your response around to a topic
that has been very much on my mind lately: writer productivity. Am I imagining
things, or are American employers expecting the impossible today? I've been in
this business more than 20 years and I never encountered the unreasoning blind
attitudes on the parts of the managers I have to deal with today. The continuing
thread about the added value of technical communicators is a good example, but
I believe these are just symptoms of a much larger malaise: the unthinking,
unknowing rush for more product delivered much quicker, without stopping to
consider or plan for adequate quality in support of that product (in particular,
documentation and training). Are companies so bottom-line oriented today that
they must drive their inadequate resource completely 'round the bend with
unreasonable demands? My question is rhetorical; I believe the answer is *yes.*

Fellow list-readers, do you feel this is true? Are employers/clients expecting
MUCH more while spending MUCH less to get it?

Good luck to us all.

Dave Demyan

Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect (obviously) those of my
clients.