JOB OPENINGS - Tech Writers - Unisys, So Cal

Subject: JOB OPENINGS - Tech Writers - Unisys, So Cal
From: Noel Cormier <ncormier -at- LA -dot- HODES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 12:31:55 -0700

UNISYS
Unisys Corporation in Mission Viejo has immediate openings for two
permanent technical writers and three contractors.

POSITIONS
The permanent positions are with our mainframe operations teams and in our
database management team. The contractor positions are as writers for our
mainframe hardware team and our networking team, and as a graphics artist.

WHO TO CONTACT
If you are interested in finding out more about the positions or in
applying for one of the positions, please contact

Dept. BB, Human Resources
Unisys Corporation
25725 Jeronimo Road, Mission Viejo, CA 92691 or
jobs -at- RSM -dot- unisys -dot- com (ASCII only please)

TASKS FOR GRAPHIC ARTIST
> Assist in producing hardware/software illustrations and special graphic
>assignments such as posters and technical overview brochures.
> Perform project management tasks such as scheduling, estimating, and tracking.
> Sketch preliminary drafts based on verbal descriptions from writers.
> Use computer to produce finished, camera-ready copy artwork.

REQUIREMENTS FOR GRAPHICS ARTIST

> Expertise with CorelDraw! on a PC platform.
> Working knowledge of PCs and LANs.
> Knowledge of graphic procedures.
> Able to handle multiple, simultaneous assignments.
> Able to work cohesively in a team environment, adhere to processes, and
>work with minimum supervision.
> A self-starter, willing to take initiative.
> Able to meet tight deadlines.
> Able to work to high quality standards.

TASKS FOR WRITERS
> Perform basic product information assignments under general supervision
>as part of a team. These assignments include preparing product
>documentation from research through delivery to clients; creation of
>graphics; redesigning manuals; writing help text that might be
>mainframe-based, PC-based, or UNIX-based.
> Take an active part in reviewing and inspecting documents and products.
> Prepare documentation for production.
> Work with software engineers.
> Perform project management tasks such as scheduling, estimating, and tracking.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR WRITERS
> BS in technical communications, computer science, educational technology,
>or a related field, or a minimum of 1 or 2 years of directly related
>experience.
> Basic knowledge of:
--Various platforms, such as mainframes, UNIX, and personal computers
--Usability factors, such as readability, task analysis, audience analysis
--Document design, such as online versus page paradigm
--Publishing standards, such as page layouts and paragraph styles
--Graphics
--Authoring and origination systems and conventional electronic publishing
systems
--Microsoft Office Suite of products, specifically Word for Windows 2.0.
> Some editing or proof reading experience
> PC literate (able to run DOS-based and Windows applications, understand
>file management methods). An interest in new advances in PC technology a
>plus.
> Strong oral and written communication skills.
> Able to handle multiple, simultaneous assignments.
> Able to work cohesively in a team environment, adhere to processes, and
>work with minimum supervision.
> A self-starter, willing to take initiative.
> Fast learner of technology and tools.
> Able to work to high quality standards.
> Motivated goal-driven individual willing to devote the time and effort to
>complete projects on times.
> An understanding of the basic architecture and hardware/software
>interaction of Unisys products is a plus.
> A knowledge of information mapping is a plus.

PLUSES FOR PERMANENT POSITION
> Experience in marketing writing
> Experience in competitive analysis
> Experience in computer-based training

REQUIREMENTS FOR HARDWARE CONTRACTOR
> Experience in writing design specifications, technical bulletins, or
>similar documents
> Experience in documenting and tracking feature integration or in design
>problem tracking
> CorelDraw knowledge a plus
> Experience in working with reviewers for technical accuracy, usefulness,
>and usability
> Customer support or product testing and assurance experience helpful

REQUIREMENTS FOR NETWORKING CONTRACTOR
> Knowledge of networking theory.
> Knowledge of networking technology

REQUIREMENTS FOR MAINFRAME PERMANENT
> Knowledge of mainframe theory.
> Knowledge of mainframe technology.

REQUIREMENTS FOR DATABASE PERMANENT
> Knowledge of data management and database theory.
> Knowledge of data management and database technology.

It takes the impossible to accomplish the impossible.
noel -at- netcom -dot- com
ncormier -at- la -dot- hodes -dot- com voice 310 575 4000
Noel Cormier fax 310 312 6035
Bernard Hodes Advertising
Western Region Technology