Fast saves - Word

Subject: Fast saves - Word
From: Cathy McNair <cmcnair -at- SPICER -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 15:39:46 -0400

>Date: Thu, 1 Jun 1995 06:47:00 UTC
>From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
>Subject: Re: Word woes, cont.

>Remember the 3 rules for Windows:

>1. Don't use fast saves (tools:options). It puts a notation at the end of
>your file every time you make a change.

I've read several times on this list not to use fast saves with Word, and it
puzzles me. Almost the only time I've had "out of memory" problems with Word
6.0 is when I've had the fast save option turned *off*. With fast save on, I
almost never encounter the problem. (I also like fast save because I find it
tedious waiting for the full save every time.) To avoid overly large Word
files, however, before closing a file for the day, I do deselect the fast
save option and then do my final save.

Am I the only one who's noticed this?

I do, by the way, produce quite long and graphic-laden manuals with Word,
using the method Sue Gallagher discussed last week: Chunking the manual into
different files and not using the Master Document feature.
Cathy McNair
<cmcnair -at- spicer -dot- com>