Re: Value of Techwriters

Subject: Re: Value of Techwriters
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 19:03:36 -0600

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, Robert Plamondon wrote:

> I think a lot of us are grabbing this monster by the wrong end. Design
> engineers often have no real concept of what Sales, Marketing, and
> Manufacturing are for -- they lack the twin concepts of "customer" and
> "business." Ask them to describe what a product marketer or a salesman
> does during the course of an average day, and you'll see what I mean.

This perhaps leads to the best justification yet for NOT calling the
technical writer an engineer. By extending the concept of engineer as
skilled project manager to include some expertise in customer and
marketing relations, we add additional value... or is this on track?

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu