Re: Value of Technical Communicators

Subject: Re: Value of Technical Communicators
From: "Richard J. collins" <writejob -at- DNAI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 08:33:02 -0800

In article <199506021728 -dot- NAA03616 -at- bizarre -dot- rtpnc -dot- epa -dot- gov>, Michael Uhl
<uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov> wrote:

> As a professional technical communicator, only a small part of my
> day-to-day work involves formal writing. As a consultant who has
> cleaned up messes left by "technical writers"

First, let me say that you make some very good points in your post. But
beware that some day, someone may have to clean up after you. This is a
hard business, and more often than not technical communicators (technical
writers?) are not in control of their projects. You weakened your position
by your remark.

Secondly, technical writing (communicating) is a huge occupational
category. There are people who chose to simply write and do few of the
other things you suggest are part of your work. That's OK. Nothing wrong
with that.

Rich Collins