Re: Communicator or Writer?

Subject: Re: Communicator or Writer?
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 09:49:39 -0800

At 10:33 PM 6/5/95, C. Dawn Langley wrote:
>I would like to know if the majority of this list's subscribers feel they are
>technical "writers" or "communicators." "Communicator" to me denotes a
>broader visual than "writer," allowing the imagination to roam beyond
>solitary computer keyboard pecking to more prosocial activities. These terms
>are interchangeable for some and very dissimilar for others. This topic is of
>interest to me as I wonder if there is a division among members of the
>profession concerning these terms. When did the term "communicator" begin to
>prevail?

>I realize a lot of people began their careers as either "writers" or
>"communicators" and so logically speaking, mere habit can account for a
>majority of this diversity. I prefer the seemingly outdated "writer" myself
>based on gut-feeling more than anything else.

>Dawn
=============
Call me a technical writer. It's clear concise and to the point...unlike
the more ambiguous "communicator" which is just a little too touchy-feely
for me.

Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr. Oakland, CA 94612-3540
(510) 645-3469 (W) (510) 944-9814 (H)
santa -at- tfs -dot- com (W) santacroce -at- aol -dot- com (H)

"An idiot with a computer is a better, faster idiot!"