Re. recovering from fast saves

Subject: Re. recovering from fast saves
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:13:23 LCL

Since several posters have reported problems involving Word's "fast
save" option, here's a "save the day" recovery tip if the file appears
corrupted and won't open in Word. (I haven't tried this with Word
itself, but it's worked with other word processors on other
platforms.)

Open the file in any ASCII editor, and copy the text to your word
processor via the clipboard (or save it again as ASCII and then open
it in the word processor). Good editing software will open damn near
any file format, and even though you'll get what looks like
gobbledygook, most of the text will still be there, intact, buried in
the midst of the formatting codes. Use a simple search and replace for
each piece of gibberish in the file. (For example, one old wordpro I
used set all its format codes as &....&, and I cleaned up the file by
replacing all words of the format "space & wildcard & space" with a
single space. Your file codes will vary...) You'll have to reformat
the file, particularly if you used style sheets, but you'll get back
most of your text, which is the important part anyway.

If the file is really righteously trashed, so it won't open in any
software, disk editors (I use Norton Utilities) will let you copy the
file's sectors directly to a clean, safe text file. (Instructions
appear in each utility's manual, so I won't go into details. They vary
too much.)

Of course, all this involves a bit of effort. Much easier to start
again from your backup copy of the file. You do keep backups, don't
you?

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.