Re. Visual design resources

Subject: Re. Visual design resources
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 12:26:24 LCL

If you're interested in some fine reading on visual design, get aholt
of a copy of the magazine "Before and After" (916-784-3880,
916-784-3995 fax), published by a young genius named John McWade. At
$36 for four issues, each about 16 pages, it's pricey, but you won't
find a better insight into how designers work. McWade not only
understands how people use visual material, but also can explain it.
He's not artsy-fartsy (the standard pejorative for designers), but
down to earth and practical. He tells you why something works, why
it's also aesthetic, and how you can achieve the same effect. He's
also a gifted artist based on what I've seen. You can get sets of all
back issues for a reasonable price too.

Highly recommended, and should be a part of our ongoing bibliography.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.