Help! Need Document Control Solution

Subject: Help! Need Document Control Solution
From: Karen Mayer <Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:54:51 EDT

We've been looking for a solution to our document control problems, but
haven't been very successful. We're using Lotus Notes to catalog and
store engineering specs and business documents, but because of the
limitations of Notes, we cannot control access to the more sensitive
documents without locking *everyone* out. We need to be able to control
whether a document is printed and by whom, as well as control who can
open the documents. As it is now, all documents are in Word format. By
double-clicking the Word icon in the Notes database, the document is
launched in Word and can be printed as is or with changes (assuming no
controls are in place for editing).

We're exploring the possibility of using a reader, such as Adobe Acrobat
to give access to the files instead. That way, we can control whether a
document is printed -- but this is a temporary work-around (we hope).

Does anyone have any experience with good-quality, low-cost document
control/management software? We've looked into Interleaf's RDM, but it's
way too expensive (and it's overkill for our needs).