Re: Re. Politically incorrect?

Subject: Re: Re. Politically incorrect?
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 16:22:00 PDT

Geoff Hart wrote:

> I've also had lots of difficulty accepting politically correct
> language. For example, why do we say disabled (not able to do
> something, a less-offensive form of "invalid") instead of handicapped
> (having a disadvantage compared to non-handicapped people)? The latter
> is both more accurate and less offensive.

I think you will find that the disabled community discusses this issue among
themselves. There is much discussion within any community not in the
mainstream about names and political correctness. Many communities have a
level of disagreement about what are the most advantageous terms to use
present themselves and their issues to the mainstream.

I think that validates that words are a concern to such groups and that the
power of naming in this culture is perceived as just that, a power.

I personally think it's polite to talk to representatives from groups and
hear what they have to say about what they want to be called. I try to
read about various groups and understand other cultures and viewpoints. I
think it enriches me as a writer and a person.

As far as what terms to use, I guess I would try to use the most-agreed upon
term as presented by the majority of people in whatever group I was
describing. I think this is common courtesy, as in calling a person by the
name they prefer, for instance, some men named Robert do *not* like to be
called Bob, others prefer it.

Since it is a group, obviously I cannot please all the members of a group at
one time. I am, however, predisposed to be an ally to all humans, so I
*try* to be sensitive. I can see that PC language is an important concern,
that is subject to change, and that I will make mistakes as will others as
we try to define it.

I think we all need to give each other a big break and keep an open mind
about the subject. That includes women, disabled people, people of color,
gay people, and straight white males. Some of my best friends are straight
white males! <grins and ducks> (Some of my best friends are conservative
Christians, too, and I don't think they should be stereotyped!) (Okay some
of them are not party-line conservative, but somewhat conservative in some
areas and more liberal in others.... so see, that's why not to stereotype
people!)

And of course, as a contractor, I need to consider that my employer could be
open to lawsuit because of what I write or don't write.... I don't think
someone getting sued because of my work would be really, really great for my
career....

There are some great resources on the Internet (such as misc.handicapped on
Usenet and the ADVOCACY-L) and in bookstores for learning about various
groups' struggles around language. I think we should all unsubscribe
and cons of PC language.... Just kidding.... about the unsubscribe part....

Rosie "temporarily able-bodied" Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Mark Twain