Re: Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....

Subject: Re: Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....
From: "A.J. Janschewitz" <aj -at- AJ -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 16:50:53 -0700

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, Rose Wilcox wrote:

> Should the writer tell the database guy that the database field name needs
> to be changed because it isn't "Native American"?
> Should the writer advise the team that the button name should be changed so
> as not to discriminate against women?

Yes to both questions.

The writer should point out the potential dangers in using terms that are
not "PC," especially in a public-sector situation, where the intellectual
property being produced belongs to the taxpayers. There will invariably be a
member of that public who will object to the non-PC terms, and it's a war
better avoided.

I managed the public outreach coincidental with the introduction of a
personal income tax in Connecticut in 1991. In that capacity, I edited
every piece of paper from forms and instructions to advisories to
practitioners. We were gender-neutral in all of our publications, and
used the terms of choice (e.g., "Native American") for any group that
could be covered by such a rubric.

That was no small job, but I remain convinced that it was worth the
effort in editing (although many people who suffered the wrath of my red
pen didn't). There are too many people ready to make a quick headline ---
especially around election time --- by pointing out things that might
otherwise seem petty in the grand scheme of a project.

As a writer, you're the word expert, and it's your responsibility to a
job well and completely done to point out potential pitfalls.

Kindest regards.
==a.j.==
(formerly Executive Asst. to the Commissioner, CT Tax Dept.)

--
A.J. Janschewitz <<-=->> aj -at- aj -dot- com <<-=->> primum non nocere
"All great truths begin as blasphemies." - George Bernard Shaw