Re: Formatting Question

Subject: Re: Formatting Question
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 10:19:08 CDT

> > I don't know if you consider this the proper forum for this
> > type of question, but here goes:

> > In general, does a two column format save space? I prefer to use a single
> > column but I am working with a large group on a proposal and do
> > not have the final say.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks.
> >
> > Kathleen
> > kathee -at- sdl -dot- usu -dot- edu

Actually, such a question is not only appropriate but, in the present
politically-charged climate on the list, is a refreshing change of pace. :)

In my experience, a two column format doesn't take up much space more or less
than a single column. It just breaks up the page and can make it more difficult
to read. For a newspaper or magazine, such a format is acceptable, but I
wouldn't use it for a proposal.

Are you thinking of adopting a two column format just to save space? If that's
the case, I would suggest reducing point size and inter-paragraph spacing, and
experimenting with margin widths. But unless absolutely necessary, don't try to
cram as much text as possible onto your pages. You might save some copying
costs, but you'll reduce the effectiveness of your document. Remember, white
space is your friend. :)

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA