Re: Origin of PC terms

Subject: Re: Origin of PC terms
From: Pat Madea <madea -at- MMSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:31:49 MST

Regarding Glenda Jeffrey's post:

(snip)

>Geoff Hart wrote:
>
>> I've also had lots of difficulty accepting politically correct
>> language. For example, why do we say disabled (not able to do
>> something, a less-offensive form of "invalid") instead of handicapped
>> (having a disadvantage compared to non-handicapped people)? The latter
>> is both more accurate and less offensive.
>
>I remember reading once that there is an evolutionary process for such names.
>A new name comes into being because the old name has too many negative
>connotations. Then, after some time, the new name starts to take on all
>the negative connotations that the old one had, and the cycle starts again.
>
>For example: invalid, handicapped, disabled...
> colored, negro, black, african-american...
>
>Has anybody else heard of this phenomenon?

I haven't heard of this phenomenon, but I have watched it with
amazement, as I'm sure others have. With regards to PC-terms and how
they change, I don't see them evolving so much as metastacizing.

Look at the stakes involved with regard to using PC terms when talking
or writing aout highly-charged issues, such as abortion. Simple,
straightforward word describing a medical procedure. One can be
against the procedure (anti-abortion) or for the procedure
(pro-abortion). But, those terms have almost disapeared.
Now we have the terms pro-life and pro-choice. Now, what
do those PC terms mean? I'm for both: life and choice.

Really, for better or worse, it seems that almost all alleged-PC terms
are nothing more than Mad Avenue euphemisms. George Carlin does a
wonderfully humorous and slashing take on PC terms and it's worth
checking out for those concerned with PC-ness.

IMHO, clear, correct language may not popular but it's always PC.

whoa... there's my 2-bits, 4-bits, 6-bits, a byte!

madea // madea -at- mmsi -dot- com