Re: Formatting Question

Subject: Re: Formatting Question
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 11:33:35 MST

Stephen P. Victor wrote-->
> In my experience, a two column format doesn't take up much space more or less
> than a single column. It just breaks up the page and can make it more
difficult
> to read. For a newspaper or magazine, such a format is acceptable, but I
> wouldn't use it for a proposal.

> Are you thinking of adopting a two column format just to save space? If that's
> the case, I would suggest reducing point size and inter-paragraph spacing,
and
> experimenting with margin widths. But unless absolutely necessary, don't try
> cram as much text as possible onto your pages. You might save some copying
> costs, but you'll reduce the effectiveness of your document. Remember, white
> space is your friend. :)
===============================

In general, a two-column format does allow more text to fit in
the same area. This is because the shorter line length allows you
to switch to a smaller point size. (You're almost required to
use a smaller point size; otherwise, you'd probably end up with
short, choppy lines containing only three or four words.) Also,
the gutter adds white space, which in turn gives a lighter feel
to the page. For an even lighter feel, use a ragged right margin
in the columns. Don't forget to adjust your leading.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=