Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....

Subject: Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....
From: Gwen Barnes <gwen -dot- barnes -at- MUSTANG -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 15:28:50 GMT

-> Question: Should the writer point out the "un-PC-ness" -- excuse my
-> language -- of either or both of these examples to the development
-> team and/or the management?
->
-> Example 1:
->
-> Should the writer tell the database guy that the database field name
-> needs to be changed because it isn't "Native American"?

This one should be easy to resolve without being obviously "PC", by
substituting "Indian Tribe" with something more relevant to the end
users, for instance "Example_data_field", unless the reference
to "Indian Tribe" is essential to understanding the program, which
didn't seem to be indicated in your example. When defending the choice,
I would not make reference to political correctness, but merely
relevance to the subject matter, so as to make it understandable to a
wider range of customers. I think if you can take the "customer's pov"
rather than a generic "PC" approach, there will be less resistance.

-> Example 2:
->
-> On a "button" in an application used by Field Engineers:
-> "Men/Equipment".
-> Should the writer advise the team that the button name should be
-> changed so as not to discriminate against women?

Workers/Equipment would be my choice here. It's understandable and
"PC-neutral".

Cheers, @DISCLAIMER@
Gwen gwen -dot- barnes -at- mustang -dot- com
MSI * Connecting the world 805-873-2500