Re[2]: Semantics

Subject: Re[2]: Semantics
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 08:52:00 -0600

While eradicating the words does not change the attitudes, at least it
helps prevent spreading of harmful attitudes. As technical
communicators, we have the power to lead the way.

I appreciate your agreeing with me. I wish I could return the favor. But if we
"outlaw" certain terms which express feelings or attitudes we don't like, other
words will acquire those meanings. Words exist because what they pertain to
exists, at least at the conceptual level. That will always be the case. When
currently allowed words cannot adequately express a concept, either new words
will be invented, or old ones will acquire new meanings (see "gay" for a
particularly striking example of that).

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124