Re: leaving samples

Subject: Re: leaving samples
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 19:41:14 -0700

Sue McCullough wrote:

>Why don't you leave samples? Are they really proprietary or are
>you afraid the client will find something he/she doesn't like, if
>given the opportunity to analyze them?

>I ask because I've just sent samples out to some prospective
>clients . . .

Two reasons:

1. I am a free-lance tech writer. Many of my clients are releasing new
products and (justifiably) worried about inadvertently supplying
intelligence to their competitors. So much so that I often have to
negotiate being able to show samples at all! So yes, the samples
and the information they contain *are* proprietary.

2. In order to impress, I bring along the bound, published copies of
my work. I really don't want to let loose of those for more than a
few minutes.

I would have no problems with someone analyzing the work; they just
never do. Maybe it's my (virtual) grey beard (with a nod to Geoff).