Two-column format

Subject: Two-column format
From: Daniel Strychalski <dski -at- CAMEONET -dot- CAMEO -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 1995 01:38:07 +0800

Two messages saying that columns don't save space are quoted below. The first
is 15 lines without columns (not shown here) and 14 lines with; the second is
32 lines without columns (again, not shown) and 30 lines with. Same margins,
same font. These are the only ones I tried. Having worked with columns, I was
quite sure what the results would be.
Actually, such a question is not only | Are you thinking of adopting a two
appropriate but, in the present | column format just to save space? If
politically-charged climate on the | that's the case, I would suggest
list, is a refreshing change of pace. | reducing point size and inter-
:) | paragraph spacing, and experimenting
| with margin widths. But unless
In my experience, a two column format | absolutely necessary, don't try to
doesn't take up much space more or | cram as much text as possible onto
less than a single column. It just | your pages. You might save some
breaks up the page and can make it | copying costs, but you'll reduce the
more difficult to read. For a | effectiveness of your document.
newspaper or magazine, such a format | Remember, white space is your friend.
is acceptable, but I wouldn't use it | :)
for a proposal. |
Kathleen Kuvinka asked if a two-column | more than about 5 inches. So readers
format saved space over a one-column | will find themselves reading the same
format. | line twice, or skipping a line.

No, because you sacrifice the space | As a reader, I find it equally
between the columns. And if the | disconcerting to have to jump a line
columns are right-justified, you | every few words (i.e., a very narrow
sacrifice more space justifying two | column). As a writer, I do not like
narrower columns than you would | to see a thought I put effort into
justifying one wider column. | phrasing, being chopped up into a
| bunch of short lines... because I know
But -- and this is a big but -- please | the reader will have more trouble with
don't select a number of columns based | it. By the same token, when writing
on saving space. (To explain: take | phrases meant to capture attention,
the space-saving directive to its | convey a topic at a glance, etc., I
logical extreme and you have a solid | appreciate a short line, preferably
page of text...that no one would | with white space around it or perhaps
read!) | some other appropriate design element
| nearby.
In the paper publishing world -- |
books, from which so many of our | (I don't know what sort of document
well-tested and reliable rules of | you're designing, but...) To help you
thumb derive -- the maximum column | with the others you mentioned who also
width is considered 28 picas, 30 if | have a part in this decision, I would
pressed. A pica is about 1/6 inch, so | emphasize that number of columns is
this is a bit less than 5 inches. The | only one part of design. Start with a
reason is that the eye, when moving | design that will convey this
from the right-end of one line to the | particular information best to these
left-start of the next, will start | particular users; let the number of
missing its target after traveling | columns be whatever they be.
Quoted and reformatted by Dan Strychalski (dski -at- cameonet -dot- cameo -dot- com -dot- tw)