Re: time per page

Subject: Re: time per page
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 06:36:18 -0400

>Some anonymous writer penned this paragraph:

>>Just out of curiosity, how many pages of a tech manual can you produce
>>in one day (8 hours). I'm doing about 3. Is that average?

>As they say in the car commercials, "Your mileage may vary." I know
>Hemmingway was damn glad to get three pages a day through his typewriter,
>but then he didn't have all of our tools -- grammar checker, spell checker,
>word processor, a graphical user interface... On further reflection, he also
>didn't have to deal with computer virus alerts, balky hardware, Microsoft,
>dirty mouse pads, and arrogant engineers. But if you have the quality of Big
>Papa, three pages a day more than enough to justify soaking up expensive gin
>at your favorite watering hole each night.

In my own work, mostly how-to books on various business subjects, I find
that four pages/day is a realistic goal. I think there are other factors, in
addition to the benefits of modern technology. Chief among them, I believe,
is the kind and amount of research required. Not surprisingly, I do much
better than four pages/day when I am working on a subject I happen to be
especially knowledgeable about, less than four pages/day when writing on
subjects I know little about and must make myself expert in.

***
Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com] Marketing consultant, general and
technical writing services. Author 60+ books, including best-
selling How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant (John Wiley).
PO Box 1731, Wheaton, MD 20915. 301-649-2499; fax: 301-649-5745