Re: comma or semicolon??

Subject: Re: comma or semicolon??
From: SANDRA CHARKER <scharker -at- OZEMAIL -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 07:05:10 +1000

> From: Timothy Schablin <timothy -at- ESKIMO -dot- COM>

>Check this one out. Would you use a comma instead?

> Atlas Inc. consist of a scientific team; combining thier
>experience and education to provide you with the highest quality
>products.

>One of my books says a comma, the other book says a smicolon.

Neither. Minimum change: no punctuation except the full stops (I presume
'thier' is a typo).

Possible rewording: 'Atlas Inc. is a scientific team whose combined experience
and education provide ...'. Mind you, if the sentence is coming to me from
Atlas Inc., as I presume it is, I'd be more impressed if they shut up about
themselves and told me something, preferably something concrete, about the
products. But that's another issue.

What justification do your books give for a hiccup in the middle of the
sentence?

Sandra