What to call the beige box...

Subject: What to call the beige box...
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 06:40:47 MST

In a post on a different subject, Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
wrote...

> I just helped a friend of mine set up her computer today. She didn't know
> much about it other than that it had three components: the monitor, the
> keyboard, and the hard drive (the big box that everything plugs into).

> Fortunately, we started off the afternoon with her knowing that I was far more
> technically literate than she, and she thus believed me implicitly when I took
> the cover off the big beige box and pointed out how little of the space was
> actually consumed by the "hard drive" (well, okay, it was actually a fair bit
> of space, this machine being a PS/2 Model 30 with a first-generation IDE drive
> :-).
=============================

My mother-in-law calls the beige box the "hard drive," too.
That seems to be a common approach by people just learning. I
was taught to call it the CPU. However, the CPU takes up even
less room inside the box than the hard drive. What then, would
be an appropriate name to call the thing?

(I like Sun's terminology, depending on the size of the box:
pizza box, lunch box, bread box...) :)

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=