Water from the lake

Subject: Water from the lake
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 10:47:55 CDT

> Messieurs es Mesdelles

> Your assistance, if you would be so kind, is urgently required. I am
> writing about the construction of a canal which will be used to provide
> water for a number of purposes. The source of the water will be a lake.
> Will the water be "raised from the lake" or just "taken from the lake"?

> It would be difficult to rewrite the sentence to read "The source of the
> canal's water will be..." as I am writing from a French text (as I often
> do) and must try to follow the form as closely as possible.

> I am partial to "raised" in this instance. Is is correct? Is there an
> alternative?

> Merci d'avance pour vos reponses

Isn't the verb "feed" ordinarily used for this sort of thing? The stream feeds
the river, the river feeds the lake, etc. So you could say "The lake feeds the
canal" or "The canal is fed by the lake."

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA