Good Book/File-on-the-Internet to "Introduce" TW?

Subject: Good Book/File-on-the-Internet to "Introduce" TW?
From: Thomas Burgin <Thomas -dot- Burgin -at- MAILPORT -dot- DELTA-AIR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 08:46:00 -0400

My younger sister is (in her junior year at university) changing her
major for the umpteenth time. I think she may finally be hearing what
I've been trying to say regarding technical writing as a career. It
may be starting to sink in -- a bit. She's going to snoop around at
the University of Tennessee's Technical Communications department, and
maybe at MTSU, and Tennessee Tech (if they also have programs).

Does anyone know of any good books that serve as good introductions
(that are also relatively up-to-date) to the subject? Or, how about
any existing files available for downloading?

Many thanks...

Thomas Burgin