Equal pay for equal work

Subject: Equal pay for equal work
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- C2 -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 07:52:30 -0700

>Assume, for example, a candidate is making $32k, and that the job
>opening I have has a salary range of $30,000 to $49,500. My goal may
>be not to exceed the range's midpoint of $39,900. Even that, however,
>would be more than a 20% increase for this candidate (and my HR
>rep would kill me

When I managed programmers in the 1960s and 1970s we tried to AVOID taking
advantage of people who had been underpaid in the past. We looked at what we
were asking them to do and how well we thought they could do it, and we paid
them accordingly. Everyone doing approximately the same job got
approximately the same pay.

Often (particularly for women and minorities) this meant we wound up paying
new hires a lot more than they had been paid in prior jobs. ...RM

Richard Mateosian VP, STC Berkeley Chapter
Freelance Technical Writer srm -at- c2 -dot- org Review Editor, IEEE Micro