Re: Salary History Revisited

Subject: Re: Salary History Revisited
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- LEMOND -dot- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 08:53:27 -0400

Chris Willis wrote:
> For instance, a candidate who does not
> quite match the skill level that I am seeking may convince me that their
> potential is worth a second glance.

Yes, exactly. In the ad I posted yesterday, I did not include
a salary range because I am willing to consider a very wide
range of applicants, as long as they meet the basic qualifications.

If I were to list the salary range that my management currently would
like to see, I wouldn't get resumes from the highly qualified people at
the high end. I'd like to get those high end resumes, and take a shot
at convincing my management that these people are worth hiring.

Similarly, I'm willing to consider people who might be fresh from
tech writer school, and might therefore fall below the low range
of the salary range.

I think this strategy is probably common in companies just
discovering the value that a good tech writer can add. Our company is at
that stage; we're trying to get a feel for the tech writing workplace,
so we're willing to consider a very wide range of people.

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200