Re: raising water

Subject: Re: raising water
From: Jeffrey A Pittman <jeffp -at- CLARK -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 1995 10:47:37 -0700

On Tue, 13 Jun 1995, Arlen P. Walker wrote:

> The source of the water will be a lake.
> Will the water be "raised from the lake" or just "taken from the lake"?

> My french is none too good, so you'll have to decide how well it fits, but my
> instinct would be to write "diverted from the lake."

Diversion implies motion, and therefore water diverted from the lake
never entered the lake, as a lake is normally a static body of water.
Diversion is defined as altering the course of an object. You can divert
the use of the water, but you cannot divert water from a static location.
Good luck,
J.P.
* Your Thoughts, * Jeffrey A. Pittman *
* Dreams, * 1552 Ryan Allen rd. *
* And Ideas * Stevenson, WA 98648 *
* Are Like Balloons...* (509) 427-8380 *
* KEEP 'EM FLYING! * jeffp -at- clark -dot- edu *