Re: HELP! Online help tools for UNIX?

Subject: Re: HELP! Online help tools for UNIX?
From: David Venzke <dven -at- COBRA -dot- CLEO -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 10:47:13 EDT

Phil Block <pblock -at- EXECPC -dot- COM>,

>I am preparing a documentation plan for an undocumented
>character-based OEM application... [that] runs on UNIX platforms.

>...the customer is asking about on-line help, too... Do any
>tools exist to create help that can be grafted onto an existing
>UNIX application?

We, too, have a character-based UNIX application for which I have
been investigating on-line help/electronic documentation options.
I was not successful in finding a product that provides this
functionality in a character-based product. I did find a number of
UNIX "help" development products, but they all run under X-Windows.

For information on these products:

** HyperHelp **
Bristol Technology, Inc.
241 Ethan Allen Highway
Ridgefield CT 06877
(203) 438-6969
email: amy -at- bristol -dot- com or info -at- bristol -dot- com
demos: ftp.bristol.com

** DynaText / DynaTag **
Electronic Book Technologies
One Richmond Square
Providence RI 02906
(401) 421-9550
email: info -at- ebt -dot- com
demos: call for availability

** Adobe Acrobat **
Adobe Systems Incorporated
P.O. Box 6458
Salinas, CA 93912-6458
800-521-1976
email: ? (you might try info -at- adobe -dot- com)
demos: ftp.adobe.com

** MetaCard **
MetaCard Corporation
4710 Shoup Place